View Single Post
Old 29-11-2003, 07:39 AM

One last thing, if the AFR read ok at a given rpm./boost //advance //etc
BUT, my scanner showed that the computer sensed detonation and pulled 10 degrees of timing out of cylinder#1 ,,6 degrees out of cylinder 3 and less in the other two cylinders........what sensor would you believe?
This has happened to me and others and I'm sure many others that don't even know it because they don't have a scanner. They just use a cheap i will admit AFR sensor with a stock O2 sensor[4 wire],,but it reads rich.
Many don'y understand that if you know when knock happens and how much timing is being pulled ,,you could run alot less boost and make alot more HP!!! When detonation is sensed by the computer it takes ALOT of ingition retard and time to remove it . By then the race could be over!!\
The whole purpose in my mind is to never have the computer remove ANY timing at ANY time. Once it does you have comprimised the whole performance aspect of the car. And without the proper info[like a computer scanner to read the cars brain] most will never know it and perhaps add more boost or timing because they haven't HEARD any detonation and all the while the computer is retarding the timing BIG TIME to save the motor
Please fill me in on this AFR sensor,,,what the hell does it do excactly? And how is it more informative than a knock sensor as far as the bottom line goes?
Thanks,
Sato