View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 03:30 AM

Default not sure

I'm not aware of anyone that has done any comparison testing. It would probably make a small but noticable difference if you were going for every possible advantage. The evaporation process will typically drop intake temps somewhere between 20 deg F - 40 deg F depending on the outside humidity. In high humidity tropical environments obviously you would be on the lower end of that range for evaporative cooling.

I have tried putting Ice cubes in my top mount intercooler sprayer reservoir at the drag strip. It made a small difference but the cool water quickly warmed up in the lines so it was not really useful on a day to day basis.

If your at the drag strip and need a few hundreths of a second it would probably be most practical to drop ice cubes in the reservior and then have some sort of insulation on the feed lines and a way to spray some water to purge the warm water out of the lines.

To get 1% increase in engine power you need to drop intake temps by about 11 deg F, so I would be surprised if you could get more than 1% - 1/2% or the engines max power, maybe 2 -3 hp.

Larry