View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 02:51 PM

I posted this in the "Gasoline forced induction" section ( never really checked out this section!!) , under the heading Additional Safety.
I had a bad experience where I had a system failure when my pumps' suction strainer became clogged causing it (the pump) to loose suction unknown to me. I went ahead and boosted the turbo and ...BOOM !!! .I have since taken a few steps to avoid any reaccurance of this :
1 . I implimented a low pressure shutdown that will shut down my boost controller and illuminate a warning light if the line pressure goes low , I use a 150psi ShurFlo pump , so this shouldn't happen !. The line pressure is monitored by a 2-10 bar pressure switch ,which in turn switches a relay connected to my boost controllers power supply. When switched off boost will revert to the wastegates 3,5psi setting .
2 . I installed a pair of the DDS2 sensors / displays to monitor the flow on each stage (I have a two stage set up) this will effectively deal with clogged jets , loose hoses , failed HSV's etc. during fault conditions one DDS will disconnect the power to my boost controllers solenoid valve via a separate relay and the other will vent the air signal that goes to the top of the wastegates giaphragm, this is also achieved through a relay and a n/c vent solenoid vent valve . Both actions will have the same result as in #1 above.
3 . I am presently considering installing a "LOW LOW" water pressure "trip" ,it would be set lower than the one previously mentioned which just shuts down the boost controller , this would essentially indicate a failed pump . This would be done by installing a n/c relay on the +12V supply to my LEADING COILS (rotary engine) , once the pressure switch activates it will open the relay and shutdown power to the coils killing the spark and stalling the motor , it may be a bit abrupt , but it'll get the job done.!!
Feel free to suggest anything that comes to mind , as I do not want to be rebuilding my motor anytime in the near future. :idea: :!: