View Single Post
Old 24-11-2003, 04:08 AM

I would rather not point fingers at tuners and don't know if this first thread post was in reference to the tune you are refering to on one of the WRX boards. Assuming that WRHP is indicating rear wheel - this may be a different occurence. Vishnu has stated their position on water injection and likely their tuning method is affected by that position, but I would rather let them speak to their results and keep third person types of stories more generic rather than specific. Even if I disagree with those talented tuners out there that don't use or like water injection, I prefer to engage them directly in those conversations.

Any tuner that understands tuning with knock suppression technologies (such as race gas) has the experience needed to utilitize the benefits of water injection. They may or may not choose to do so or appreciate the similarities, even though they are not the same.

There are professional tuners who have tuned or are willing to tune for water injection, though they may take longer to find. Also as you said self-tuning is an option if you have the engine management to do it.

Also if you have a tuner you are familar with and like to use - don't hesitate to send them here to read the papers posted on it or to have them join in to ask about tuning. If your tuner is open to new (to them) things, you will likely be happy with the results having worked with a tuner you know and trust - especially if they are willing to take a bit of extra time to do it right without charging you for the extra time.

While you can't pull fuel with an Ecutek on your own - if you have an aggressive say 95 octane map programmed and then use DD to advance timing a bit you will get some of the benefits though as always not a full dyno tune benefit. Just make sure you use a boost cut in case you ever have a system problem since while Ecutek will pull timing it won't increase fuel for knock events which is why for the time being I am not encouraging a higher octane map - though it is possible if someone wanted to do it.