View Single Post
Old 11-07-2004, 04:44 PM

Default most cost effective

My personal opinion is that a WI system is probably much more cost effective than an upgraded intercooler. Not that familiar with your car, (ie compression ratio etc) but WI systems start in the $300 USD range for home built or simple manufactured systems, the expensive mapable systems cost about what I'd expect a new intercooler would run.

It also depends a bit on your tolerance for the continuing maint issue of keeping the WI reservoir full, how you use the car, and what sort of performance driving you like. If you want to spend a good amount of time on a track then the upgraded IC makes some sense. If your only making occasional sprints on the street, and want the option to run a cheaper lower octane fuel on occasion, I would lean toward the WI systems.

Given your climate in that part of the world is generally much hotter than it is here in the states, I would think you'd get great benefit from WI as its effeciency goes up with higher operating temperatures. WI really shines in high temp, low humidity environments.

The other unknown of course is how easy / difficult it will be for you to get clean mineral free water (preferably distilled). If your in a rural, near desert area, and drawing well water, You may have no easy access to a way to remove any mineral content. That changes the equation slightly as you would have more of an issue keeping your nozzles from plugging with mineral deposits. If you live in a metro area then clean water is easy to find. I know here in the U.S. desert south west, there are some small communities that demineralized water is a pretty scarce resource.

my 2 c
Larry