View Single Post
Old 19-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I have found the thread about methanol in tank, posted by John Banks:
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/vie...highlight=#478

He has found 10% of methanol in tank produce better power than injected in the inlet tract. Apart from the problem of mixing, it appear it is one way it can work. As regarding corrosion, oxygenated fuel is used widely and I cannot see corrosion is a limiting factor and these fuels are available.

I think we are slowly moving away from water injection as we approach alcohol injection at high concentrations- the alcohol will become a fuel as well as a anti-detonant. The role it plays is now more critical and and cannot be compared to just injecting water since water was never used as a fuel.

If knock is the only remining safety comparison between alcohol and water to suppress knock, if either component is lost, the knock sensor will kick into action and made the engine safe. But if you loose fuel (alcohol), there is no inbuild safeguard, unless all enignes have an EGT sensor.

Since the alcohol has only half amount of latent heat than water, and half the energy of gasoline, you really need to inject four times as much compare to just "gasoline + water".

I am not sure how you meter your 20% fuel/alcohol ratio, but if the method is accurate, it will open a door for more alcohol injection systems because one can make reasonable calculations on paper, the results can be used to producing a more advanced alky injection system. Not a black art privy to a only few alky-gurus. I cannot see any point mixing it with water at all.

I am interested in such a system but why not just inject toluene or bezene. You can use a fuel pump, conventional fuel line, conventional fuel injectors etc. Do you think there is a failsafe alky system on the market at present? until a company can guarantee a nozzle will never be blocked I can't see it will gain credibilty.

I will only make some electrical drawings as and not mechanically because there is a small of risk of fire if the methanol fume escape from the trunk tank into the passenger compartment on a hot day can easily cause some fire hazard problem. I must be very careful before I work on a 100% alcohol system.