View Single Post
Old 20-03-2005, 03:32 AM

Default pumps and seal life

Quote:
BTW, regarding the Shurflo pumps? I didn?t know there was a concern of seal failure. I?ve been using mine for years with 90% methanol and no problems. Most of the TR guys are using straight methanol (or ethanol) with no problems either. I do know Julio at Alky Control has come up with some new seals if there?s a concern (Teflon?) but I haven?t seen a need to change mine. Then again, how much can you expect from a $70 pump???
There may be some other factors at play here as well. It would be interesting to know how you have your system rigged. I'm using the 100 psi pump and have it configured with a large accumulator so there is line pressure on the pressure switch seals all the time. This protects the pump as it cycles much less frequently but may push the seals over the edge due to the continuous line pressure. My pump is mounted in the trunk so high summer temperatures may be a factor as well vs a configuration that has the pump in a cool location like some where near the grill in the engine compartment. If you run yours as an intermitent system that only goes to full pressure when the AI is triggered that could be an important difference.

Larry