View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: BMW N55 electronic wastegate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docalex1 View Post
Hi Richard, do you have any new development for the integration/connection with JB4 and the HFS 4 for the S55 motor?
The failsafe options of the Aquamist system has been the same over the last 6 years. It comprises the following outputs:

1. Change-over relay output
2. Analogue output of the flow sensor
3. Frequency output of the flow sensor
4. Digital map-switch output

Anyone of the above output can be used on any third party ECU, including the JB4 piggyback. mechanical or electronic wastegate.

Our biggest problem with the JB4's failsafe input, both in "ever changing pin number" and signal levels. It is not easy for me to publish a wiring diagram that will work consistently with the JBS/s55 setup.

Secondly, JB4 failsafe algorithm relies on monitoring the pump current instead of the actual fluid flow. For this reason, I cannot guarantee if the JB4 have the programming capability of taking full advantage of the progressive flow output or the others from the Aquamist systems.

Finally, JB4's meth control is not progressive, it is either "ON" or "OFF". This is true from my recent visit to their site. It reads:

All kits integrate with the JB4 tuning system using the included FSB controller which allows for precise methanol solenoid mapping based on boost, throttle position, RPM, air intake temperature, advance, and other data elements available to the JB4 through its CANbus system. In addition the FSB feeds back an independent signal with pump loading and flow information allowing for safe and smooth progressive boost mapping. If the tank runs empty or flow drops for any reason the JB4 will safely back down performance to avoid knock. In addition methanol can be activated or disabled from the drivers seat and displayed in dash using your steering wheel control menu.

Unless you read the above description carefully, it didn't actually say the meth flow is "progressive". But "sounded" like it is. In reality, the meth flow stays 100% "ON" and boost is dancing around it.

I really think you should use the in-built aquamist failsafe, reading the real time fluid flow signal from a turbine flow sensor rather from a "make-shift" JB4 integration or from a "haphazard" pump current signal (FSB). It offers No added advantage, but loosing the "over-temperature", "overboost" options (HFS-4v3+).

Apologise for the long explanations. I cannot think of another way to do this.