View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Whittler. thank you for posting such a detail description of your setup on the system2d.

I would like to add some details on my very short involvement (one day) on the long tuning history of this car.

I got involved in Whittler's car purely by necessity rather than by accident.

It went back a few months when the Fiat Coupe Forum engaged on an Aquamist group buy. Here is a brief history what actually happened.

One of the participants (Tom) have had a system2d installed and tuned by a regular tuning company known well within the group, almost immediately after the group buy. The result of the tune was subsequently posted to the forum and the result was very disappointing. When the 2d was switched on, it gave NO power increase, a small inlet temperature drop was recorded.

I was made aware of this post and submitted my view on the result of this particular tune. As a manufacturer, we have a duty to our customers that they should get the best "after sales support" possible since they have put faith and investment on your product.

A week before this tune, I made a call to the tuning company as most of the forum members who bought the Aquamist was planning to book a Aquamist "group install and tune" with this company. A much involved conversation on the phone with the tuner on how to best tackle and get the best possible result from the aquamist. He agreed that and understood the basic principle of tuning with water injection, he have had previous experience with Aquamist and assured me that he knew exactly what to do.

Tom's tuning result was disappointing because the tuner refused to tune with water injection on the grounds that the engine is endangered if water injection fails. This topic was discussed in depth during the telephone conversation and a wiring diagram was posted to the Forum long before the group buy to show how the "failsafe" mechanism can be incorporated - absolutely no reason for not implementing the water injection tune.

Meanwhile another members posted a positive result on the same Forum but using another tuning company who was willing to wire up the suggested Aquamist/Unichip interfacing circuitry, after a RR tune, it has gained a noticeable power and torque increase. I recalled that there was no fuel trim but only modified the ignition timing curve when water injection was detected. The tune was on a relatively small nozzle and I think potential gain would be greater if a large nozzle size was used.

A week or so later, Tom submitted another post to the Forum that he has changed his nozzle size from 0.7mm to 0.4mm - a large drop in delivery rate. In spite of this, he has made a significant gain - I think this was due to the factory engine management modifying it ignition map due to the absence of knock and inlet temperature drop and result in power and torque gain. This gain was obtained WITHOUT altering the previous "non-WI" tune.

Weeks on, there were much discussion and debate on what to do next for those who haven't yet decided how to maximise their aquamist investment. I offered my service on the forum to help tuning one of their car as an example will try my best to extract every ounce of power available with reasonble safety. Whittler volunteered and this is how the story of this thread begins.

I will post again soon as I gather together the exact details on the day when I went to PTS (performance Turbo System) to work with Paul and Dave on Whittler's car the week following his visit to our works.