View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Looking for a Water:Meth ratio vs cooling chart

Thanks for the replies guys. I still have people screaming that 100% methanol cools better, and I laugh to myself. The only way it will cool the chamber is if you are removing gas from the mixture with the added methanol you dump in, but most people don't. They tune their motor to run at 11.0-11.5 afr in boost, then add methanol injection and use it to crank up their timing 4-5 degrees. Now you've used the methanol as an additional fuel source, not a replacement. Horsepower is heat. On a given setup, the more power you make, the more heat you generate. So by adding methanol to the combustion process instead of water, it is adding to the heat equation, at least that's how I view it. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows. I plan to run 50/50 water/meoh as I feel it gives the best results between cooling, added octane, and the ability to tune for more power. I'm no longer on a stock shortblock, and built my motor to handle the boost in terms of ring and bearing tolerances. Of course I'll be running an HFS-3 kit .