View Single Post
Old 07-02-2004, 05:42 AM

Default alcohols and fuel system components

The different alcohols have different "bad actors" to avoid. Here in the U.S. and I assume most other industrialize countries, all common fuel hoses and components are ethanol friendly up to pretty high concentrations. Here in the U.S. all the fuel sold during the winter in many major cities contain an oxygenate to reduce emissions. In recent years the oxygenate of choice has changed. In the middle agricltural part of the country, they have always prefered ethanol due to its spin off to the local economy, providing both live stock feed from the brew mash and a cash source for excess corn production.

In other parts of the country they used MTBE, or other ethers. They have recently become less desirable for ground water pollution reasons.

Here in Colorado we went to an ethanol gasoline mix during the winter many years ago to reduce carbon monoxide emissions. When that change over took place some cars really did not like the ethanol mix. (my 68 VW being one -- my fuel line started leaking like a sieve). I recent years all those fuel lines have been changed to ethanol compatible compounds.

You should be fine if you use modern fuel grade fuel line, and stainless steel lines. Stay away from copper lines or zinc galvanized or magnesium fuel components and you should do okay.

I'll look around and see if I can find a listing I saw a while back that mentioned what materials had problems with which alcohol.

If you do a google search for ethanol and some of the metals like copper and zinc you may be able to find it as well. I recall that Australia has some research papers on ethanol fuel and MTBE that might also have some info on it.

Larry