View Single Post
Old 28-09-2016, 11:05 AM

Default Re: WI causing knock?

The C Type mainly provides a higher flow rate. Just use the HSV of FAV to dose the spray.
My Rover distributor ignition copes fine even with 100% flow through 4x 0.4mm C jets at 7 bar rail pressure.
I have since remapped to 85% flow rate as otherwise on track usage gets to high. you are on the throttle all the time. On the road minus sustained WOT on the autobahn, I would not bother with low flow. Even a small 4 liter tanks lasts for a fair bit of very spirited driving.

if you want the most effect in the cylinder, go direct port. This is the way forward, if you are knock limited.
if you are hampered by a low efficiency of your (too small) turbo, consider pre turbo injection.
if you are hampered with poor charge cooling and excessive IATs despite a efficient turbo, consider post IC injection.

in general, unless you inject substantial amounts of methanol, the IAT reduction from the injection is not that huge. a litte 50ml/min of methanol won't make your car go much faster.
once you inject 500 ml/min of a 50:50 mix or more, things change.
but unless you inject direct port or use a very finally atomising air assisted nozzle pre-turbo, litte of the water will make it as droplets into the cylinders, at least not uniformly in all of them. The methanol vapour will. This is why the mix works out so great for many and makes jet location less critical IMHO.
Streams of water will pass the engine with litte to no effect. streams of methanol will still oppress knock as it acts as a high octane fuel and evaporates completely in the cylinder.
Water won't.
Direct port with the jets in a similar position as the fuel injectors devoid of turns and bends for the spray to take, the water also will do its thing, in the cylinder. The result is that you get the same knock suppression at a fraction of the flow.