View Single Post
Old 28-11-2011, 10:19 PM

Default Re: 2006 STi Gauge turns off when Blower fan is turned on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Possible causes:

1) This could be the start-up timer seeing a downward pulse and reset. You will not be able to see the pulse with a voltmeter becuase it can be a few milli-seconds long. I don't think this is the case,

2) If you hear a relay clicking, it will be the red wire of the grey harness loose 12V momentarily, Check this connection of this red wire, make sure it is not loose. This will also the reset start-up timer. Also check the termination of the grey RJ45 connector, make sure the plastic partition is not distorted.

I would like you to send the controller back to me, I love to find out the source of problem. I will just need one day and I will return it back to you.

Your information is good!

Richard, As always, I greatly appreciate your help with this. I have been working on this all day and have made little progress.

I would love to send this unit back, please let me know where to ship it too. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I believe the issue lies somewhere in the factory wiring somehow. Simply knowing that you've tested it will give me a little piece of mind on the matter.

I appears that nothing is loose at the moment. All my connections have been made using seamless, uninsulated butt-connectors and glue-shrink wrap. Shaking wires around doesn't seem to make any difference. Nor does moving the ground to a different location.

I've discovered some other interesting features of this problem while trying to figure this out. If I remove the blower fan relay, the system never turns on at all, even though there is still 12.6v measured at the HSF-3 module. Plug the relay, the whole system turns on!

I'm currently drawing power from a switched source that is on the front of the interior fuse box, a Yel/red wire that feeds power to things like the power mirrors, the accessory sockets, and a few other things. This is a very common wire, I've found, to get a switched 12v source from. I have used it on probably over 50 Subaru's to grab power for gauges. Its never been an issue before. I have also tried moving it to a different switched 12v source with no change.

Now, after all my testing I have the HSF-3 working, but I can't get the blower motor to turn on. I have a feeling that once I do, the HSF-3 will then go inop again.

This has proven itself to be quite a challenging issue.

Thanks again for your help.