View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 09:01 AM

I'm into trying this out. I've now read what I can on the pre-compressor experiments and it looks like if the injection is not continuous and droplet size is as small as possible, you'll have minimal wear on the impeller wheel.

I'll have the Element Hyday in my STI in about a week or two. I can program it to open a valve at 5000 or 6000 RPM at 15 psi of boost and let the Aquamist take over from there.

From my reading on "wet compression" or "fogging" as decribed in the turbine engine lingo it looks like 2-3% water(alcohol etc):air is about all you need or want to shift toward isothermal compression. Any thoughts out there on how much to inject?

I'm primarily interested in try to "stretch" out the compressor map at high RPM/boost when my stock turbo is starting to wheeze.

How about droplet size from an Aquamist jet? Hotrod mentioned 10 uM. That is pretty small on the absolute edge of visual perception of a single dot. The smallest cells are 10 uM and you can only see them if you know what to look for.

Some sort of atomizer like is used in "cold" humidifiers might be a better solution. They use a small apeture combined with some sort of high frequency osillation to break up the water. Or maybe an ultra sonic tip of some kind.