Thread: Methanol risky?
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2004, 05:58 AM

Default Talks to the pump manufacture

I don't think you have any problems with engine gaskets. Years ago with carburated systems there were issues with carburators that had composition cork gaskets, needle valve, and plastic foam floats in the float bowl, that broke down when exposed to alcohol, and some pre 1970's fuel hose would leak over time if exposed to alcohol fuels. All of those issues have generally been resolved completely with ethanol (due to its use in alcohol fuel blends) and to a lesser extent for methanol. The most likely issue today with methanol (and other alcohols) are seal materials used in the fuel system itself, and occasionally certain metals used in some fuel systems.

It depends a bit on the seal materials used in your pump/injectors etc.

Generally Methanol has some corrosion problems with certain metals in the fuel system. Aluminum (not anodized) and magnezium if I recall correctly are two of the metals that are most prone to corrosion in the presence of methanol. The so called Tern coating used in some fuel tanks also has problems with some alcohols. Ethanol is less agressive with metals and is prefered in comsumer fuel blends for that reason. ( that is one of the reason it is becoming popular as a fuel oxigenate)

The reaction of seal materials and alcohols differs widely. Each seal material behaves differently. You have two issues, permeability and degradation.

There are some seal materials that work well with each. If you can determine from the manufacture what materials were used for seals and gaskets in you system, than you can determine which alcohol is best for you. Common seal materials are Santoprene, viton, neoprean Buna-N etc.

I have seen some of this info scattered about in various places on the internet, but it might be nice if we had a sticky post here that listed the common seal materials and and their behavior with different alcohols.

Larry