View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 05:39 AM

Default Superoxygenation

Guys, as Taz quoted me:

"Water injection displaces some oxygen volume in the intake charge. Dissolved superoxygenation fits oxygen in between the hydrogen and as such does not increase its resting volume, but contributes bonus oxygen to compensate for that displaced by the water and methanol. .......The stainless steel tanks and their contents are refrigerated to near freezing point (meth stops it from freezing), so I also get a really cold mist into the intake plenum."

I see several advantages from little intervention. We need water tanks anyway, so its not like its all superfluous.

If you are injecting from a warm or hot tank (eg windscreen washer tank), the water will also have given up some of its O2 (those bubbles leaving a pot of heating water). Similarly with air, which as it expands, contains less oxygen by volume.

If you are injecting 20% water to fuel, then 1/5 of the 20% of O2 in your induction is displaced. Superoxygenation can ensure that there is 10 X more O2 in that 1/5th displacement. Surely optimising these losses, with such a simple intervention is worth it. If your water is warm to hot, then this O2 gain increases proportionately.

Cooling and thereby optimising the intake charge is after all, one of the reasons that we are water injecting. Storing the water/methanol mix at freezing temps furthermore ensures that you will be getting a nice cooling ice-cold, rather than an aggravating warm to hot shower on a stinking hot summer day. I know which I would prefer to cool me down.

Yes, tank spraying is feasible, much like an agricultural sprayer, but I have found that the pressurised tank and pump work better, in that I have found it easier to regulate water pressure than oxygen pressure, but I am still experimenting and don't really want to reduce Richard's sale of those dinky pumps. Mmmmm, you are thinking "A quick visit to the patent office"! So much for my silly ideas.

Regards

Stuart