View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 02:23 AM

Default Peak cylinder pressure

I would tend to agree. I think folks are getting so wrapped up with the new technology they are just confusing the issue.

In effect you already have a peak cylinder pressure indicator.
Engine torque is directly related to the MEP in the cylinders. In theory all you need to do, is run a delta dash log and sit down with a calculator and figure out the engine torque at key rpms in a specific gear. Then you use those reference points as a measuring stick. If you make a change and the index for that rpm goes up you did good, if not go back one step and try something else.

If I had the money you could also use the same concept to do the same thing in real time. Put a pressure transducer in the right front motor mount and a second transducer with a free weight on it near by. subtract the vertical enertial signal from the free weight from the signal generated by engine torque loading of the right front motor mount. Poof instant real time engine dyno.

In concept it is trivial, if it would work in the real world is another question. It is essentailly what a chassis dyno does anyway so the hardware should already exist.

As long as you limit yourself to a specific test location and vehicle weight you could also do the same with either the time rate of change of engine rpm, or road speed, or with a G meter.

If your making more torque, (ie higher cylinder pressures) and your gear ratio and vehical weight is known, the rate of change of engine rpm should increase. From the delta dash logs I've seen I think there is fine enough time resolution to make that approach work. This of course assumes no wheel spin so would be best done in 3rd gear or higher.

Larry