View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 03:53 PM

After a few months of running methanol i noticed that my tune was going crazy. AFR's were all over the place. I was also getting huge flames from the tail pipe :lol: .

This is the chain of events.

Tuned for methanol as WI. tune went like this. 9 deg adv at 0.78 Lambda running 38 gph of petrol and 5.5 gph of methanol.
The car seemed really strong in this tune. After every hard run the inlet plenim was so cold. Like it had just been removed from the freezer. I will attach a pic of the plugs.

[/img]

On the way down to a race i decided to have a mild remap due to a change in weather conditions. ( it got colder ) The ignition was breaking up like crazy whilst adding and subtracting fuel. It seemed to have a very fine balance between to rich and too lean. On race day the temp went back up again and the car drove well again.

We decided to add a few degrees to the ign a few weeks later. ( i basically got a EGT for my datalogit )
We found my egts to be very low. about 700 deg C post turbo. I eventually managed to get 17 deg of advance in before the power started to drop off from the tune. egt was in the 750-800 mark.

As well as this we leaned the car out at peak tq to 0.80 L and up to 0.84 after ( anybody that knows rotaries will be violently sick at the thought of going this lean )

So on to race day again. I had a disaster by crunching my LSD changing in to second gear. How eva the datalogs from the run show the car at 0.70 Lambda across boost. A 14 % change in 24 hours... how is this ?

I have now striped down the system as well as the tranny and found the nozzeles to be giving poor atomisation in free air. I have now cleaned them and the spray pattern is much better. I have also found bits sitting in the bottom of the tank. I know of 2 other people running a similar set up using differant Meth suppliers who have had similar problems.

Any ideas. I thought meth would have kept the nozzeles clear if anything.

Scott :?: