View Single Post
Old 19-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I would be very interested on your non-interrcooler set on your honda, please psot some figures when you have some.

Just a few weeks ago when I was doing some new product testing work in a WRX on a dyno. We used to jets, a 0.4mm before the IC and a 1.0mm after. Water rate is totally variable at will. It was a 23C degree day and the session lasted about 6-7 hours.

A big fan was used in front of the car (not that effective) for TMIC cooling. Throughout the day, we always put our hands on the intercooler to feel the core temperature was ensure that it is not too excessive before the next pull. Surprisingly the core was always "cold" to touch - not warm. It only warms up slightly during the power run. We didn't record the temperaure as it really wasn't the aim of our test on that day.

After few hours or so we got curious and pull the 0.4mm jet out, plugged up the jet hole and measured the actual water flow into a measuring jug for a two-minute power pull and got the 140cc of water - 70cc/min!!!

When turned around, we saw large amount of vapour coming up of the intercooler core and the core was red hot - guessed we forgot to put the bonnet down during that pull. In moment of panic, we manually activated the WI and doused the intercooler with a water jet - vapours, steam was pouring out continuously. Only after 10 minutes for so later, the core was just cool enough to touch.

This little event had me thinking just how effective is a front intercooler sprayer will be with the aid of air flow whilst moving. I would love to hear from anyone who have used it especially measured it.

As a supplier for water injection, we have often been asked by for customers when are we bring out an external intercooler spraying system? I am not sure if this will ever happen. anyone out there can help?