View Single Post
Old 21-06-2011, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Mini R56 2009 Factory JCW HFS-3 Install (Cooper s owners too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Water/methanol injection does not make power by itself. I am listing out three typical forced induction applications (sensible AFR):

1. Untuned:- Do not inject over 10-15% water/fuel ratio.
- It will help recovering power loss due to huigh ambient of poor fuel octane.

2. Mildly tuned with a few psi of boost increase:
- Inject 15%+ water/fuel ratio

3. Highly tuined with tens of psi boost increase:
- Inject 20%+ water/fuel ratio

When adding methanol to the mix, injection quantity has to be increased by greater 20-50% extra.

Over injection will result in power loss especially with boost increase or tuned. Once tuned, failsafe implementation is essential.

Shams1924...
I like to confirm howerton's comment, either run a small jet or go for 100% methanol ro avoid blowning out the sparks.

Assuming the mini uses 400cc/min fuel injectors. 15-20% of fuel is 240-320cc/min. At present, you are injecting over 450cc/min with a 0.8mm jet. The size is too big for an untuned engine. The reason for your power loss.
thanks richard and howerton
ok. as 0.8mm was the smallest size. i took the next steps with that still installed.
i lowered the flow as follows.
i inserted the 0.5mm restrictor into the FAV. road tested. no flow. i turned up the SC on the guage. still no flow.
i done repeated the above steps again with the 0.7mm restrictor. again. no flow.
then i tried the 0.9mm restrictor. yet again. no flow recorded.
richard was spot on. together with the newer FAV and the new map on the hfs3 ecu. the flow was already reduced to match the mini.

so as suggested by the most people. i drained the tank and ran 100% meth.
results. car seems to like it much better than the 50/50 mix. still abit of after urn in the exhaust. but i dont feel any power loss. maybe a bit of power gain. initial testing looks to have gone some way to sort out this problem.
will test again tommorow. but i think i may need a smaller nozzle.
shall i send you my original FAV and the unused 0.9mm and 1.0mm nozzles back richard. so i can get a few smaller nozzles?