View Single Post
Old 16-07-2004, 04:07 PM

Our repair and replacement facilities are some of the best in the world for quality of work, and turn around. Problem is getting your truck into one of these 4 stations in country is nearly impossasble. We have had a truck there for a blown bottom end since March, and there is no return date in sight.

I am currently running with no thermostat, and your comments to the heater core. Because of the blastics of the armor, and glass installed on my truck, we dont' run with windows down. Turning on the heater even for a short time provides for a cooking effect on both driver and passenger. I use it at times of excessivly high heat for only a few min. Anything more then 5min of low fan has given me 1st deg burns on my legs. Remember that the ambiant temp was 132F in the shade today, and next month it's worse. Along with long pants, and sleeves, I wear an unvented ballistic helmet, and a 45lb armored vest with no vents as well.

Most of the tricks used in racing applications haven't worked here. I spent 3 years as a chassis fabricator for a NATCC, and WC T2 team. The engine on the truck is mounted midship, with 30% of it's girth placed behind the firewall. The radiator is choaked by the cooler assy, and placed in an almost horizontal position. Air is only directed throgh a couple fins that look like an afterthought. I have water wetter on it's way, and I am currently running a 80% water to 20% coolant mixture. The 50/50 was way too thick. Interesting idea about the cavitation of the water pump. This is why I posted here Because these motors are a traditional 6.5TD GM powerplant, are there any companies that offer an underdriven water pump pully?

We have tried the vent holes, to no avail. the trucks are just not built with airflow in mind. Next step is a hood scoop fasioned like the intercooler scoop on the WRX, and like cars with a top mounted air/air intercooeler.

Again, what our your thoughts?