View Single Post
Old 22-03-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Resevoir level sensing in a competion environment

Does anyone have any experience of using water resevoir level sensing systems in a competion (specifically rallying) environment. My concern with a float type arrangement is with it's durability under high G loading, and accuracy under negative G conditions (ie when car is flying!)

I plan to use an optical sensor (IR reflectivity prism type), and to damp the output by some margin to determine a "true" water tank empty signal?

Also does anyone use a "dry pump sense / auto prime" logic to detect when the system is empty and if it needs to be primed? My concern here is that if i run out of water, and the resevoir is refilled in service, it's easy to forget simple things like checking the system is primed. This could be a particular issue for me becuase to optimise the vehicles CofG the tank is mounted under the drives seat, both low in the car, and a relatively shallow design of tank.

Inital thoughts were a "key-on" routine, involving opening a low back pressure return line (via solenoid) that is T'd from directly up-stream of the HSV, then running the pump for say 10secs, (returning any water back to the resevoir) closing return line, then deciding if another prime sequence is required by the systems pressure rise response. In conjunction with a no-water / system fail error light, that would illuminate after a certain number of failed prime attempts, this should guarentee a propely operative system before leaving service????