View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 10:25 AM

Hello,
Thanks for the interest in the video. The intake manifold has a center entery in the middle of the plenum. Richard has some pics that he can post as i dont know how to post the pics. The "elbow" leading into the centre of the plenum has 3 dividers in it that were tested on the flow bench to give even air flow to all Cyl. Yes the "sight glass" is on the end of the plenum.

The WI point is approx 250mm before the throttle body so what you see in the plenum is AFTER the water has travelled approx 350mm and then done a 90 Deg turn up threw the elbow before it hits the sight glass that is on the end of the plenum. Also i was using straight water only.

The WI is turned on at 12psi and 3500rpm. BOTH these points need to be met for the WI to become active. The WI is turned on via an AUTRONIC ecu that runs the engine. The WI was mainly used to prevent high intake air temps at 2 bar boost. The dyno runs last approx 10 seconds and start at 2000rpm to 7200rpm. ALL the power runs were data logged in the ecu.

First up we did a number of runs to stablise the engine temps (air,coolant,oil) WITHOUT the WI active. The air temp in the dyno room was 26Deg C. The air temp in the plenum at the start of the runs once stabilised was 32.6C and at the end of the run was 45.1C WITHOUT WI.

With the WI active the run would start with an air temp of 32.2 and end with 37.8C. ALL these figure are on the same day, same car and the same place. The AUTRONIC ecu data logs at 20 times per second.

At full noise the engine runs 80psi fuel pressure and the injectors flow 1,060cc at this pressure. I am using a 0.4mm jet. I know that the jet size is small for the injector size as our intention was to use the WI purely to prevent high air temps at such high boost.

Once the WI was active there was NO difference in the A/F ratios but bear in mind the small jet size. In my opinion i was very impressed by the WI. I have admittedlly been a sceptic about WI but now i recommend it to all my customers that run hi boost turbo engines.

Richard, Could you please post the pics of the Intake manifold so it will be more clear to all that are interested to see what path the water had to travel and yes, i also thought there was quiet alot of water for such a small jet but have never had any problems with the engine due to the WI.

Jake