View Single Post
Old 27-03-2016, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Using water-only system year-round? Feedback?

The best way to be sure you have the correct ignition advance is to use fast cylinder pressure transducers. The second best is a dynometer.

The ability for an engine to enter knock zone is pretty much directly linked to PCP (peak combustion pressure) after fuel is ignited which is also linked to the fuel octane you are using and the engine Compression Ratio. I am pretty sure you know all that...

So are you in a danger zone? Nobody knows unless properly tested. I think the sizing you are using will not let you maximise timing advance but that does not mean it is wrong. Some people use WM to get a bit more safe boost and or timing advance.

But if you are trying to maximise your set up by advancing to MBT then you would require a dyno or very good datalogging software and hardware with a very meticulous testing method. But even then you won't be able to control wind speed changes that will affect the readings. rotrex also wrote how to do it on the street...

I will agree with you though, when you have a relatively low specific output engine, if the engine does not knock, even if you have past MBT by a couple degrees on your setup, should not matter. lol
The cumulative damage will be slow...

Last edited by Flr Power; 28-03-2016 at 04:37 PM.