Thread: DIY accumulator
View Single Post
Old 19-11-2003, 09:35 AM

Yes - I realized later(with a red flag from Ed) that my logic is flawed. 110 PSI water will only compress a 100PSI bladder 10%. P = nRT/V ... as you can see as volume decreases, pressure increases directly. So a 1/2 decrease in volume will increase the air pressure in the bladder by factor of 2...200psi.

I want the bladder to be about 1/4 its original inflated size. The maximum water PSI that I can get is 10bar = 140 PSI. So 140/4 = 35PSI in the inner tube. When I apply 140 PSI on a 35 PSI air bladder, the bladder will compress to 1/4 its original size.

However, that being said, that means I would have 140 psi in the accumulator for a brief period of time - which means I'll be spraying too much water at first. Perhaps I will adjust to 110PSI/4 = 27.5PSI in the bladder. Yes, that sounds more reasonable.

I will post pics in the next few days, with parts and such. I'm pretty sure the whole thing can be done for $15, including the epoxy/adhesive misc stuff. If this works, the cool thing is that you can make your accumulator almost any shape you want to fit your engine bay or trunk - you just need to find the right plastic shape that can withstand 100 psi and a couple of inner tubes.