View Single Post
Old 19-03-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod
wet1:

Quote:
Thank you for replying Larry. I am very impressed with your knowledge and the contributions you make on this site, I hold your opinions in high regard. What do you do for a living, chemistry? Are you in the US? Are you in the water injection business, or is this just a hobby?
Thanks for the kind words, --- I currently work in the computer industry, but have done lots of other things over the years. Mostly I'm just really curious and have an engineers mentality. (started out to become an mechanical engineer many years ago but got side tracked by other events in life.)

Quote:
How have you come to the conclusion that a 50/50 mix it ideal?
Mostly based on the studies during development of ADI for WWII military aircraft. They were trying every combination they could think of -- it was litterally a life or death problem to solve, as pilots lives depended on very small power advantages under combat emergency power. After exhaustive tests they concluded the 50/50 mix was the most effective. It is still used to this day in unlimited air races and hydroplane races. Thats good enough for me !!

If I ever get anywhere near the limits of a 50/50 mix (MW50) which is nearly a doubling of max torque, then I might investigate other possibilities.

The folks who are using straight alcohol injection are actually doing something different than normal WI. They are getting some detonation protection but they are mostly creating a hybrid fuel system that under max power it approaches being a pure alcohol fueled engine. As I mentioned above, with no water added to the mix, you are limited to about a 15% power increase just switching to alcohol vs gasoline. That is a very impressive number for a 400 -600 hp engine, and is more than most folks need.

Larry