View Single Post
Old 25-11-2003, 02:12 AM

Alternative fuels will definitely move the reference point for sensors calibrated to gasoline.

Additional steam in the exhaust will mess with diluted partial pressures.

I have been corresponding with someone that understands the impact very well - but that does not make it measurable. He basically said that anytime you are really relying a lambda you should calibrate it, the best way to do so is with a gas analyzer. Of course that only works with catless systems.

As I thought about this I was talking to someone about the idea of using water injection eliminating unburned hydrocarbons from the induction charge. And I started wondering about skipping the lambda sensor and just using a gas analyzer. Theorectically, with water injection I want to tune right to the point where the CO is minimized - that should be the maximum power mixture. The person I was talking with mentioned not to my surprise that there are quite a few performance tuners who tune to CO rather than lambda settings for any number of reasons but they find it quite accurate for what they seek to do.

I might realize some things on my own some times but rarely will I have been the first to realize it.