View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod
WI is generally sized based on fuel usage, and fuel usage is always solidly tied to your power output.
Thanks for the replies.

As you said yourself WI is generally based on fuel usage, which is why I asked about a 1000bhp engine. I didn't think 600 to 1000 bhp on a 1.8 would be included in the "general" classification. Being new to WI, I didn't know if the ratios would be reduced, increased or remain constant as power (and temperatures) went up, (could hydro locking become an issue, does the fuel:WI mix need to be leaned out / richened towards higher rpm and power levels, for example).

I did a search and couldn't find any information on injection pressures / injection pumps I should use when manifold pressure is up to a possible 5 bar. If I missed that, then sorry for wasting your time.

Having known nothing about cars 2 years ago, I reckon I have done pretty well to design an engine capable of this power range. The engine is based on solid theory, which I have picked up from 2 years of r & d, a large proportion of which was found on the internet. Most of the books I have read are based on lower power principals, which (as you well know) don't always apply to extreme examples. The fact that I have designed a possible 1000bhp engine does not mean I automatically know how to get rid of the heat it produces to actually run it reliably at that power level - that's why I am here. I would have thought that was obvious.

Yes, I have designed a unique engine. A large proportion of it is based on knowledge I have learned, but a large proportion is also based on "out the box" innovation. Just because I have designed something does not make me all knowing. That was why I went on this forum.

I am aware of the specific heat capacity of water and meths. Naturally, the amount to be injected depends on the mix ratio to be injected. I was hoping that someone with experiance of big hp engines (rather than someone leaning heavily on general principles), could tell me what did and did not work for them.

I read the link you gave me before I originally posted (thank you, anyway) but that still did not help me because the standard WI pump would not overcome potential manifold pressures I may experiance. There is no point investing in a pump that will never meet the demands of the engine it is meant to cool.

I'll have a look again, to see if I missed out on the answers I was looking for. But if anyone does have experiance with big hp WI, I would appreciate any information on how well your set-up works.

Thank you to Richard from Aquamist - it seems I require a modified pump capable of around a constant 10bar and between 600cc/min and 1500cc/min WI. If anyone could post a link to the modified pump section, that would be great. :wink:

Thank you, anyway

Rich