View Single Post
Old 29-09-2004, 10:34 PM

The method for reading the ignition timing was first invented by the folks in that paper from LinkoPing University. That paper was written in 1999 after T7 (used in my car) was introduced. T8 could have it, but I doubt it.

Mine does have an ionization gap sensor, but it is used to detect knock, mis-fire, and cam phase, rather than as an ignition feedback sensor.

What I want to eventually do is modify it in a similar manner. That would be awesome to get some concrete numbers.

As for water injection slowing the flame rate, I don't believe that's true. I recal reading one of the papers on this forum, I believe it's still posted, which showed that, rather than retarding the burn rate, it retarded the flame development angle.

Slowing down the flame development angle has little effect on detonation because you can adjust the ignition timing to compensate with little or no effect on total cyllinder pressure, or rate of rise in cyllinder pressure.

It's just like a delay between when the flame kernel is ignited, and when it propogates through the combustion chamber generating heat.

The rapid burn angle is what will control detonation. A slow rapid burn angle, as produced with a bad A/F ratio, contributes to detonation.

Adrian~