View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod

Second question, is your CAC an air to air system postioned infront of the radiator? If so then the heat transfer to the radiator would be due to the CAC pre-heating the air going through the radiator. Yes, exactly

Two options come to mind, first under the heading of keeping it simple, you could also look at direct water spray on the outside of the CAC or on the radiator or both, rather than injection in the air stream between the turbo and the CAC. But requires too much water and not as much fun

The other way to take heat load off the cooling system is to add an oil cooler. The oil moves quite a bit of engine heat. On the WRX in stock configuration it uses an oil cooler that passes heat to the engine coolant. Folks have had good luck adding an air cooled oil cooler and passing that heat directly to the air rather than the radiator through the coolant.

When you refer to "gas" are you talking about propane injection? No, gasoline vs diesel

The pre-compressor injection will only increase the max air flow by a few percent, so your 5% gain seems about right in that regard.

As I understand the effects on diesels you need to add some fuel to make full use of the air that you are already flowing so if you upped your fuel flow and then held the EGT temps in check with WI you should get more power than 5%

Larry
Correct, a diesel is just a big air pump, meter in some fuel (fuel is subject to timing vs a spark) and compress until it bangs. At first glance, detonation appears to not be the issue it is in gassers.

I guess I am not clear why water-meth solution added pre turbo, vs post IC, results in less power added.