View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

I totally agreed with the comments about the media tend to feature more on the drivers (super-star hype) than the race itself.

I often hear comments from our WRC customers, their main objection is the media coverage, it tends to focus on the front runnings and barely shows any footage on the trailing teams. Because of these, the manufacturer who does not have a competitive team receive no media exposures even they pay out just as much to run these WRC cars.

WRC is not naturally made for media (TV) coverage compared to oval racing and F1, it lacks continuation. The TV coverage (mass viewing) have done as best they could but "only if" they can include a few more seconds on the lesser team, there will not be so many teams pulling out.

At the start of the WRC competition in 1995, there were quite a few teams pulled out, some returned and some never did.

I think the solution is not cutting the construction cost but give lesser team more media coverage aso that they are seeing some return on their investment.