View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Water vs Methanol : Ultimate Tuning

From what I can make up now, there are different scenarios:
1. Ditch pre compressor jets and inject post CC or direct port with the mix that gets you the best power. While 50:50 has its merits, I have now seen that for a given mix flow and boost more alcohol can in my car make more power. The other possibility would be to inject even more 50:50 mix.
2. Install a air assisted nozzle upstream of the turbo as in Riceracing's system. A significant portion of it's very fine mist will pass the CC. The evaporation in the turbocharger reduces droplet size even further with the majority of the vapor being the more volatile methanol. This leaves the water to do the cylinder work. As the mist is very fine, little fluid will separate in the CC. Even if, it does no harm.
3. For maximum charge cooling, inject 80:20 methanol water into the compressor. Supplement as needed post charge cooler or direct port. The more you inject, the less the CC will do.
4. If your CC is on the small side of things as in riceracing's system, pre compressor helps to lower overall charge temperatures. The too small CC itself cannot bring down air temperatures as logos as a bigger one. If you can install a big air to air cooler at the front, you will get air temps 10 to 20c above ambient. There pre compressor injection will lead to little extra cooling. Part of the evaporated mix will condensate. Here post CC injection or direct port will be more efficient. Exception would be a undersized turbocharger with a low efficiency.

Don't make the system too complicated, e.g. Two separate fluids and injection systems.
You can get to the same result by plainly injecting more of whatever fluid you use. This is more simple, easier to tune and less prone to failure.

Just my thoughts.