View Single Post
Old 31-03-2016, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Water vs Methanol : Ultimate Tuning

My setup uses a 8 bar membrane pump, otherwise it is a Aquamist 2c system. The race pump at some pointed started to lose flow.
Metering is done with a HSV controlled by a ECU map (boost control map, PWM % as function of TPS and rpm) of my ECU, a Emerald K3.
4 Aquamist 0.4mm type C jets are placed a few cm in front of the injection valves with a 5th 0.3mm jet being mounted about 10cm in front of the Rotrex C30-94 supercharger. Total flow at max fuel flow is about 500 ml/min or about 30% of fuel flow. Injectors are 470cc/min Bosch EV14 units of a Corsa OPC operated at 4 bar.
The charge is cooled by a PWR racing 4"x6" barrel charge cooler. Water is provided through 19mm coolant lines and cooled by Pro Alloy radiator sized pre rad. Coolant pumped by a Bosch PCA and a Pierburg CWA50 pump resulting in a total measured flow of 17 litres per minute. I have a second Pierburg pump here that should get flow to about 25 litres per minute. That corresponds to 100W of CC coolant pumping power!
IATs on track are about 40-50C above ambient.
Durning no boost cruising IATs are typically 10C above ambient.
Running bigger than a 0.3mm pre compressor jet I can log IAT fluctuations from fluid droplets evaporating on the IAT sensor. During very hot days, I can go a tad bigger.
A 0.9mm pre-compressor jet caused IATs to stay flat after the charge cooler.

The engine is a DIY build Rover K-series with 1800cc mated to a B4BP close ratio gearbox and Torsen Type B limited slip diff in a 1999 Lotus Elise S1.
Head is a VVC160 head with a banking kit, heavier valves springs and Newman ph2 cams. Running a larger pulley I used a rev limit of 7800 rpm.
Bottom end has steel con rods, Mahle Motorsport bearings, Wössner forged pistons and Westwood nodular iron liners. Head gasket is a Rover MLS gasket.
All bottom end bits are weight matched and balanced all the way to the clutch cover. It runs super smooth.
It currently runs 0.83 bar of boost at 7000 rpm with a rev limiter at 7300 rpm.
It has never seen a dyno since I own it (2004). It should have about 250HP.
Straight line speed in Spa is a tad faster that a S2 Elise with a NA Honda K20A2 unit (≈230Hp) and a tad slower than a S1 Elise with a JRSC supercharged Honda K20A2 with about 280HP.

Next step is to measure why my boost is as low as it is. It should be above 1 bar and bring to engine closer to 280HP. Suspicion is the charge cooler. I need to wait for better weather.

Last edited by rotrex; 31-03-2016 at 04:11 PM.