View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: An idea to reassure WI users and prevent catastrophic da

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_boy
From another thread on a different forum (NASIOC.com), I'd be interested in thoughts on rigging a "fail-safe" injector/jet that "reacts" to any perturbation of water flow. It means more sensors, but also more confidence and possibly more wide spread use of WI:

Quote:
It seems that total confidence in WI is what is needed, and this means constant monitoring, short term back-up systems, and computer control over shutting down fuel or blowing off boost in the even of a clog or failure.

Similar worries must have been present when fuel injection was new, blockage or failure of an fuel injector could lead to the same lean detonation favorable condition, yet we don't worry about fuel injectors now.

The Aquamist DDS2 system offers some relief by monitoring flow and the option of signalling any of numerous devices of a problem. Additionally, I'd like to see a system that provides water even in the event pump failure, high speed valve failure, or development of a clog in one jet and not another. More monitoring at each possible point of failure, and a system of compensation for any failure would go along way to reassuring WI users.

One additional means of off-setting a pump failure is to equip the system with an "accumulator" that will sustain pump pressure and flow even after a complete pump meltdown. Development of a 'back up' jet to be used in the even of a component failure, that only injected water in the event of a failure would also make a more fail-safe system (perhaps using boost pressure as a source of water flow). In fact, "over injection", that is injecting lots of water (flooding), would be an excellent response to any failure, one that would safely indicate a problem (power loss) and also protect the engine from detonation.
I agree that for water injection to work and more wide spread, monitoring water flow is very important. There is certain proven method currently used on fuel injection - constant line pressure, flow-calibrated fuel injectors, lambda feeback etc, all part are now well developed and highly reliable - should one go to such a length to impliment it on a water injection system. Even if someone wants to market such a system, would the market afford to buy it.

Aquamist has a system almost immulate the FI system but we do not sell that many due to the high cost. Water delivery quantity is a not a problem for us, as commented many time on many threads. We have Shurflo based systems and alcohol systems but only available on special orders.

Storage of pressurised water is a concern with us - a small leak over night and cause hugh problems in the next morning.

I am happy to take anyone's suggestion and help anyone try to develop a low-cost, highly reliable system as described by b_boy. Competition is healthy.