View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Alfa Turbo Nozzle Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotrex View Post
All the big droplets won't take the turns anyhow. :-)
For nozzle location, I'd try both right after the CC and before the intake plenum. See what requires the most ignition advance to get power back injecting just water. That position gets the most mist into the cylinder.
If you can life with the whiff of methanol coming through the dump valve is your decision.

For a CC system, you need plenty of water flow though the CC. Get a cheap turbine meter and measure it, if you have not done so. I need both a BOSCH PCA and a Pierburg CWA50 to get to a measly 17 liters a minute. The BOSCH PCA alone only managed 7 liter per minute, the Pierburg pump alone 12 l/minute though 19mm lines.
For your likely 400 to 500HP setup, you need flow rates on the order of 50l or more per minute to drop air temperatures reasonably close to ambient. The best system I have read about flows 60 liters a minute (1000g water per second with a heat capacity of 4 J/g*Ka cooling 400g of air per second with about 1 J/g*K) on a 450HP car and drops IATs to 20C above ambient at race speed.
For a short squirt on the road, things are better as you take advance of the the heat capacity of the water. But this will only help in the first 30 to 60 seconds of WOT depending on the amount of water you have in the CC system.
Thanks for the advice, I dont mind the odd whiff of methanol, and its behind me anyway, as the engine is in a stratos replica.... hence the charge cooler.

I am running close to 500BHP at the moment. Not sure on the charge cooler water flow, I use 25mm lines and a Davis craig EWP 115. I will definately get a flowmeter and see what I get, something I hadnt thought of before...