View Single Post
Old 24-03-2016, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Using water-only system year-round? Feedback?

I tuned my engine like FL_Rubicon mentioned here, the only difference is that I tune via ecu directly into the map not using knobs.

I set a fuel base map and an ignition base map with an amount of water/meth mixture and flow and make several WOT runs especially on 4th gear datalogging every run.
After these runs I check all the plugs and see any signs of over advanced timing or detonation kinda old fashion style. If plugs look clean and engine felt torqy and responsive basemap is saved and used as it is.

Regarding EGTs, I have one for every cylinder (4) and kinda seem like a waste of money since over advance show cooler egts while retard shows higher. Infact currently I just log the hottest cylinder only and study effects. Never had any help tuning the engine with them just knowing the values...

Quote : "Advancing the WOT & WOT/MBT timing in 2 degree increments is also far from blind. That was the approach I took with the assumption that I would probably stop at 7-8 degrees of advance. I have read enough about WI/WMI to see that folks tend to get 6 to 10 degrees of ignition advance over not having it so used that as my ceiling - along with the device's limit of 10 degrees of advance or retard over the loaded tune."

I was in that feeling for long time myself and I felt exactly how you feel like now. Until there was a day and decided to go my way and trial my own findings.

The result, got about 10-15 Degrees of ignition timing on boost over the folks while running 14AFRs on low to mid-range boost (1-14psi) and 13.5AFRs on high boost (14-22psi) and injecting 44% W.I . The engine came so powerful that I needed to upgrade bigger and stickier tyres to WOT the car !