View Single Post
Old 26-08-2010, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Failsafe activating after shift.

Quote:
I believe you are the one who fitted a pressure switch inline with the IDC sensing wire. This may cause the some problem for the system to ramp up fast enough from 0% DC to 50% DC. This delay may be your problem as the system was seeing nothing and sudden expect to calculate the correct flow for a 50% DC.

Please disconnect the inline presure switch and see if the problem persists.
No pressure switch. I was the one that used the Eboost2's programmable auxiliary output wire to trigger a relay to mask the IDC signal. On bimmerforums you mentioned there should not be any ill effects to this. However, in my last post, I mentioned just for eliminating it as a possible culprit, I reduced the trigger from 12, then 11, then 10psi, then all the way to 100rpm so that it is effectively disabled and always sees IDC. No effect, so I'm certain this isn't causing the failsafe. It may be causing the delay though. For now I am leaving it set to "off" and turned up the THRES ADJ from 9 to 2 o'clock so that it is not activating prematurely. Again, the tuner suggests no meth before 13psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
I have heard some discussion on other forum about the water pick up problems on the coolingmist tank. Here is the link. But one of the things to check out.
Thank you for that link...I think you're on to something. Here's an excerpt from the thread:

After you install the barb fitting into the tank with the drill, remove the fitting by reversing the drill and cut a 7 inch section of hose and insert into the bottom of the fitting just as shown. No glue or tape is required. Now install the fitting by inserting the hose in the tank and tightening the fitting by hand. Once its hand tighten you can use a wrench to completely tighten. This hose is a pickup tap that keeps the system from drawing in air and allows you to use almost the entire tank before filling up. You must install the fitting as below so it goes all the way across the tank. Failure to do this will cause the system to draw air in. The plastic hose will fit in the fitting just like below without any glue. It will stay in place.

I bought the tank from Howerton, and it didn't have these instructions nor any diagrams. Jeff said he had them for a long time. The barb was pre-drilled into the tank with no 7" section of hose. I will see if I can contact coolingmist for a copy of the instructions to see if I can salvage this tank. Shuasha is using this tank on his car without any problems, but I'm thinking this has to be the culprit. While shifting, the fluid is possibly sloshing (even though it's full?) and is drawing air, causing the delay and/or failsafe. If this ends up being the cause, I will bite the bullet and purchase a better tank from Howerton.

I'll advise my findings after I makeshift some sort of 7" section of hose. Your support is truly appreciated.