Thread: how to install?
View Single Post
Old 23-10-2003, 01:39 AM

I agree that injecting prior to an intercooler reduces the effectiveness of the intercooler itself since it reduces the differential that intercoolers are based on. However, if the net charge exiting the intercooler is cooler and denser I am OK that the intercooler itself wasn't as efficient. Also keep in mind that on some road cars smaller intercoolers are used primarily because in certain uses they become interheaters during long heavy loads at which point injecting before hand provides a lot of help. (Of course this is primarily experienced with TMIC not FMIC as the thread originator is using).

As an example with no thermodynamics behind it whatsoever - if my intercooler normally will drop the charge from 130 degrees to 60 degrees but injecting before the intercooler means the intercooler drops the charge from 100 degrees to 40 degrees - I don't mind that it is only working 60 degrees instead of 70 degrees. I keep or discard a pre-intercooler jet based solely on which method produces the lowest intercooler exit temperatures under the conditions it operates (drag, street, track, road).

Good to get an active thread going.