View Single Post
Old 18-09-2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_boy
What effect the water will have on impeller speed questionable. While theoretically more viscous, the water mist may evaporate so quickly at the impeller to essentially behave as a gas, albeit a more dense gas. I believe it will slow the impeller to some degree, another benefit that I think Saabtuner mentioned.
It might slow the impeller slightly ... or it might speed it up. The reason I think either is possible is that whether it slows or speeds up will depend on exactly where the water is atomized. If atomized near the tips of the impeller blades (as I suspect it would be) the over-all pressure drop across the turbo would be reduced at a given mass-airflow, and that reduction could allow the compressor to speed up much more quickly. I think Larry said something about it turning the throttle into an "on/off switch", which would go along with those lines perhaps?

Also I mentioned earlier that it would cool the impeller wheel slightly, which when boosting past 2 bar can be quite beneficial.

Adrian~