View Single Post
Old 18-07-2004, 04:28 PM

I apologize for taking so long to respond. Unfortunately, I don't believe that I can improve upon what Larry advised. I'd lean more towards the pre-turbo injection or IC sprayer. Also, I am just throwing this out there because I don't have any experience with them, but what sort of potential is there to upgrading or adding an additional oil cooler?

I walked all around Bagram AF today looking for an MP who would let me check out their truck. The last time I had any UAH's was in Kosovo and at that time, I didn't know a turbo from a water pump (1999). I finally found a very nice SFC who let me climb all over one of his. WE COULDN'T FIND THE TURBO nor IC!!! I know I'm not the smartest dude, but it made me say hmmmm. These variants, the soldiers reinforced, were Turbo'd and IC'd, just like the FMTV's. I didn't have a lot of time to look, but all I saw was a large intake pipe coming from the big air filter. The pipe ended on top of the intake manifold. The radiator is still dual core, like they used to be and unless the IC is within that extended grille with the mesh over it, I just don't know.

I did a quick search for the Technical manual online (9-2320-280-10/20-1) and found a few, but am still searching. Gotta get back to work but I'll reply more later.

Last thing, although you're commander wants to go faster, more reliably. You may want to talk to him about the ramifications of modifying the HMMVWs. Even in times of combat where innovation is the word of the day, the Army don't forget what you owe them.