View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Going with the HFS-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Give credit when credit is due, the entire journey from start to finish is drama free. If everyone takes as much care to details as you did on the install, Jeff and I will have a lot more time to ourselves. Well done!

Ever of thinking of running higher methanol percentage? For experience you get more torque increase.
Richard, thanks for the kudos!

I spent a lot of time considering what I wanted to use for the mix. It boiled down to convenience, avoiding the handling of straight methanol and keeping the system as user friendly to use & maintain as possible. I knew there was more power to be had with higher methanol concentration, but based on the experience of other Subaru owners, I knew I was at the very limit of what the transmission will hold. Also, the Mustang dyno at the shop that did the tuning is notorious for low readings, so at a realistic estimate of about 400 HP at the crank, it's as far as I want to go.

The washer fluid I am using is sold at Autozone stores under their Valucraft name. It is roughly 32% methanol - the remainder is water and some blue dye. There is no detergent or glycol in it. Some people are skeptical of the blue dye and harm it may cause, but as we know dye is commonly used in many fuels, including aviation fuel and many race fuels. To compensate for any variation in methanol content of the washer fluid, I am "spiking" each gallon of fluid with a 12 ounce bottle of Heet gas line antifreeze (straight methanol).

Finally, the car was tuned with injection starting at around 12 PSI of boost using IDC trigger input (I'm runnning 20.8 PSI max). To add even more safety margin, I turned the threshold potentiometer a click lower to bring the system on a little earlier. My car builds boost very rapidly and I wanted to give the system more time to react.

I plan on getting out this weekend and doing some driving!