View Single Post
Old 17-05-2005, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctischmick
ok.. so I too am trying this HOM mode without high octane fuel...
My mods are about the same as Turbojack's with the exception that I have a voltage based MAP clamp.. (tricks the ECU into thinking less boost)

When reading the paper posted on this website, this line caught my attention:

When adding 5%-7% water to fuel without leaning rich fueling levels - a degree or two of advance will produce almost the same power result as without water injection (leaning slightly will increase the power output). This is good for people who have engines tuned for high octane or race fuel but on a daily basis want to use lower octane grades. This is purely an economic use of water injection - power use requires fuel and timing tuning.

So would it be correct to say that running 5-7% would actually be better for our purposes... instead of running 10-15%?
Assuming we got ourselves to a 11-12 AFR... then turned on W/I at 5-7% and not retuning at all?

Thanks for your input.
I would like to point out that the 5-7% w/f ratio will only replace the cooling effect of dumping fuel between 12.5 to 10.5. It is not meant to replace the effect of race fuel overall.

If you see any post that put the give people the impression that 5-7% w/f of water will replace the vast octane gap between 89 to 116 numbers, please correct it for us - it is not true.

Water can be added to the bridge the gap between pump fuel and race fuel but the exact amount is not fixed, given that you can injection between 5% to 25% of water to fuel, you need to take one step at a time. Each and every engine set up is different but you can be sure that water will be able to yield positive results if you have the patience to follow it through.

Using race race is not the "end all" solution for power. Race fuel has higher resistance to knock but other aspect is not often discussed.

Having achieved MBT timing and High boost - essential for power, but in-cylinder temperature is often ignored. Higher power means more heat is available to heat up the pistons. Unless you run a wide piston/bore gap (reserved for race engine), when piston/bore clearance is reduced, friction will increase drastically lead to high temperature region around the edge of the piston where it suffers the most high temperature and pressure stress - end flame region. Even if you run race fuel, water is still an asset.

So when you dial in the HOM, baby step down your water flow until you have achieved the perfect match with the HOM map fixed by the Dodge engineers. It would help if we know what that strategy is - I doubt if they will publish it.
I was trying to find out how to calculate GPH to cc/min and found this site...
http://www.azmoon-m.com/other/conv_table.asp

based off my calculation to get 10% water to fuel... with stage 2...
Stage 2 has 682cc/min injectors.. so thats 2728cc/min of fuel at WOT..
so 10% means I need 272.8 cc/min of water ...
272.8/62.89=4.3 GPH
so the injector I would need for my system is 4.3 GPH...

I'm going to start with a 3.0 GPH, and step up the PSI a little bit..

am I correct in saying that a smaller injector, say rated 3.0 GPH @ 60PSI, will atomize the water better when its running 3.9 GPH @ 100psi?

Also could you double check my math?