View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 09:39 PM

John, thanks for taking the time to come over and sharing your experiences here with those who visit. I still am not convinced that water is not preferable when richer than optimum AFR. But I do respect your contributions elsewhere and considered it worth sharing with as many as possible to consider your work and findings. And bring about a bit of discussion.

When using 50/50 mix - what was your timing like when you were getting det? Did retarding the timing at that point reduce EGT and det? and were you also losing power from retarding at that point? (i.e. is it all possible that you beyond MBT when you were getting det I guess is what I am getting at.)

As methanol is not naturally stoich to the sensor in the same way that water/steam is, I imagine the stoich of 98RON (I believe you are using) and methanol at a 9:1 ratio could be calculated mathematically from the chemical composition of the two. From there you could probably make a rough calibration of your lambda sensor and get a closer answer as to the air-mixed fuel ratio.