View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I like to clear up a few confusion here and hope the discussion will continue in a more constructive vein.

Stuart first came to the thread on my request, just to help to clarify his aim for the "oxygenated water". From looking at the first picture posted of the elaborate set up on this thread I have to ask Stuart to be here to explain it before people getting the wrong idea and escalating negative comments down the line.

Dissolving gas into water under pressure and low temperature is a common method of making fizzy drinks. Stuart use the same method to add oxygen into water, nothing new and doesn't require a rocket scientist to understand his intention.

I think the confusion started when the discussion was turning away from his intended aim and somwhow got into splitting the water molecules into oxygen and hydrogen. Injecting ice cold water and a fair amount of dessolved oxgen is a good power enhancing move.

Imagine pouring a can of cold fizzy drink into a warm glass, the release of carbon dioxide is instant. I think the same will happen when the hot charge meets the oxygenated water, instant release of oxygen. I am only guessing here but it is logical enough for me to assume that.

Water evaporate at any temperature above freezing point - the rate of evaporation is subject to the surface area. I will try to explain, liquid water molecules are held together by a force called van der Walls force, if sufficient energy is applied, the molecules expand and some will break away from this bond, it is commonly known as evaporation.

This process often happens on the surface of the water puddle as the force is less strong due less exposure to other surrounding molecules. In order to accelerate the vapourating process, you need greater surface areas. This is why atomised water has more heat absorbing effect. Regardless of the inertial temperature of the water. The colder the water temperature the more heat it will aborb. Introducing steam into the inlet tract has virtually no cooling effects.

Some systems such as oxygen/hydrogen fuelcell requires humidified air to be efficient, water is often heated to allow faster evaporation and cooling the air is not important. Ice water has greater cooling properties than hot water provided the droplet size is the same.

I think all contributors on this thread are correct in its own right but unfortunately not all were discussing the same topics. I think this discussion is getting too detailed and require more concise and careful reading into the poster's statement before posting comments.