View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 09:45 AM

Default Re: On the right track?

Renewed hope...

I found out what plagued the system!

First the pump burned out for some reason and I believe it was how I was feeding fluid too it. I copied another ST owner how he installed his system and it seemed to work well for him but not for me.

The pump was replaced under warranty.

Now get fluid from the bottom of the stock washer tank, the pump is still lower than the tank.

I thought everything was fine but I kept getting a error code from the controller and that is about the time I went strictly E30/E40.

Turns out one of the pins in the harness had been bent. That is now fixed so it's time to get serious about water-methanol.

The turbo has been upgraded to a Garrett GTX-3017R Gen II. The current tune is on the stock fuel system and 105 octane via octane concentrate (Toroco) is 40 cfm and 18 degrees of advance on average. My guesstimate is somewhere over 400 whp.

According to my tuner, I am running lean beyond 6400 rpm so I have set the rev limit to 6700 rpm.

That means to make any more power safely, it's time to revisit the water-methanol system.

My thought is to run (2) 500 cc nozzles, post intercooler and post-throttle body to avoid drilling holes into my Mountune boost hoses.

I need 826cc to support 450 hp before 25 psi and 991cc after if that's how much boost it takes make that power. The same car with the same turbo but running 50% ethanol made 480 whp and 420 ft of torque on the dyno @28.5 psi.

GTX-3071 Gen II .63 A/R, external wastegate kit (38 mm), the rest of the normal Stage 3 bolt-ons, stock block, fuel system with port injection (4 injectors).

Stratified Automotive's two injector setup is 1,568cc total and claims to support 475 hp with upwards of 50% E85. I guess higher concentrations reduce overall output. That is why I abandoned using ethanol with the larger turbo.

If you take away 30% of fuel flow the total amount injected I come up with 1097.6cc.

That is very close to what I would get out of my water-methanol system running 50/50.

475 hp would be good and give me a margin to protect the engine over the spring time until the block is built up.

I don't really expect more than that. I will start with the one nozzle I have since my other nozzle has gotten legs and walked off somewhere.