View Single Post
Old 14-03-2010, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Three point injection on a 1.9 diesel

To get more fluid in mainly but also to get as homogeneous a mixture as possible. With just one nozzel so close to the inlet manifold, there isn't alot of time for the mist to mix and evaporate into the intake air. I'm going to change the 0.5mm for a 1.0mm nozzel next week and possibly replace the two 0.7mm nozzels with the same. That should give me a flow of 1.431 ltr to 1.365 ltr per minute depending on boost pressure.

I've been doing some research and experiments and was interested to find that although methanol releases less energy per unit of volume, you can burn methanol completely with less than half as much air. So I could burn completely, more than twice as much methanol as diesel with the same amount of air. I would like to find out the flame rates of diesel and methanol.

I ran my car using my performance box to measure acceleration and estimate power using two setups:
1) low setting on my tuning box
2) low setting on tuning box + water/methanol injection (approx 50:50)
The results suggested approximatly 8% more power with the injection running and it was smokeless from my drivers seat looking in the mirror.

I'm going to increase the volume of fluid injected and the proportion of methanol until I reach a peak power output with no or minimal smoke.

Last edited by nutron; 14-03-2010 at 08:53 AM.