View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabTuner
The engine was a 7:1 compression single Cyllinder engine with Sodium filled Exhaust valves. RPM was 2500.

Inlet Air was injected by some mechanism. They had the temperature fixed at 250F degrees for the last graph.

I should have shown THIS graph first, as this graph is the same procedure, but done at 150F degrees, which is more indicative of an intercooled engine.

Same colors as before ...

Enjoy.

Adrian~

It is interesting looking at this plot. It appeared to me that WI injection can make more power at richer a/f ratio than 12:1- at 9.5a/f ratio?

The alcohol plot is quite mis-leaning if it was described in text only. The engione virtually runs on alcohol rather than gasoline. The experiment is probably done on 2-valve per cylinder, long stroke enigne - octane demand/performace is that much greater is BMEP is "detonation threshold limited". However, it give a good indication of fuel quality against power.

Methanol has less than half the calorific value of gasoline, so in-cylinder cooling is doubled since twice the amount of liquid is being evaporated per unit of BHP generated. Due to the cooling and octane effect - antural way of making good power. Need a bigger tank.

I heard Indy car runs methanol and without interccoler and the turboed engine still have problems igniting the alcohol fuel due to excessive presence of liquid. I have also had the pleasure of meeting the people who run a ethanol fuelled Le Mans - problem was to stop the corrosion effect and the entire fueling system has to be washed out with gasoline after the race.