View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 05:14 AM

In theory being able to inject pre-turbo would be a good thing. I think most just avoid it from the bad experiences in the past. I would use it to absorb heat during compression. I would not use it to improve atomization. Your jet/nozzle should be doing the atomizing and the better the atomization the less likely you will do blade damage or unbalance the cylinder with water droplets on the blades.

The combination of pump pressure, flow and the results at the orifice as a result are what you are looking for. It is no one item but how they work together.

Boost is not required for WI to be a benefit. Any engine that has to be run unduly rich to prevent knock would benefit. This would include high compression NA applications. Generically - if you have to run 93 octane fuel at lower than 12.5:1 AFR you have high enough cylinder pressures whether from CR or forced induction to benefit from WI.

There are numerous production and DIY methods of varying the flow. Some do so with high speed solenoids that work like fuel injectors others use variable voltage at the pump.