View Single Post
Old 17-02-2014, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Optimum droplet size?

Richard-

Thanks for your response...

Without the aid of a compressed air source the droplet size for the most part (in my limited understanding), without an impaction needle tip, is determined by the pressure and the orifice size. Provided a given horsepower figure the CC/min of water needed is able to be calculated. Therefore at say 600 hp. A system that runs on boost pressure of 15 psi for example will not be able to provide the same vmd droplet size at the necessary flow rate as one that has 1000 psi of pressure to meet the required volume of 600 hp through a much smaller orifice.

It's been a few years since I had any physics or chemistry so bear with me but I had the understanding that the effectiveness of water injection was based on the high specific heat of water and the heat energy absorbed in the phase change from the latent heat of vaporization? So a single water molecule, if possible to practically isolate, would still absorb quite a lot of energy relative to other substances that could be injected but one molecule would not have the water mass to make a significant difference in the total heat of the system.

I would agree that extra energy would be obtained from the disruption of van der waal forces in a pure water injection system but wouldn't the polar hydroxyl group of the ionized methanol disrupt the majority of those forces immediately?

I also agree that the evaporation rate is solely proportional to the surface area exposed given the same altitude, boost/compression pressure and temperature. I think we are in agreement as well that a larger molecule solution of a given volume has less surface area exposed compared to a smaller molecule solution of the same volume due to there being so many more smaller spherical molecules. Isn't it 8 fold more molecules for a 1 fold reduction in diameter?

I think you are indicating to me is that the increased evaporation rate doesn't matter as the more water mass injected the better as the cylinder temperature will evaporate even a 500 micron rain droplet until the engine is hydrolocked or the oil is diluted too much?