View Single Post
Old 17-02-2014, 11:58 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Optimum droplet size?

Thanks for the continuing, it is a very interest topic.

Agree on air assisted nozzle is needed in the absence of high line pressure. I much prefer low pressure line if I am able to regulate and control the flow as easy as a PWM valve. At present, I like to leave the effect of an impaction needle tip to narrow down the scope of this discussion.

The effect of specific heat is small compared to latent heat. When a water becomes a single molecule, it has no latent heat but still retains the specific heat property, as temperature increases, the molecule just expands and has minimal heat absorption properties. I think that is what you referring to earlier. Total agreement.

Adding methanol to water makes the discussion much complicated as steam table is readily available but methanol is not that common as the refrigerant CFC. So I like to leave methanol out of this discussion. You also mentioned the ionizing effect to the water molecules. I really do not have any idea how to tackle this, way beyond me.

No disagreement with the surface area is vital to rate of evaporation.

I was trying to say with a given mass of water, regardless how large or small the molecule is, it will extract the same amount of heat when it pass through the engine. The molecule size determines how much heat is absorbed at a given stage of the journey across the engine. Smaller molecule will cool the inlet stage more but less latent heat for the combustion chamber. It is unlikely the inlet tract has enough energy to break the the vapour into a single molecule. There are factors such as saturated vapour will stop further evaporation taking place.

My point was, super-fine droplets will only be effective up to a certain point. Similarly the water molecular in the induced air during the day has little effect on cooling compared to the mist on a cool evening (larger molecule).